2 coyotes down and a 3 get a BIG halloween scare!!

okoyote

I went on one of my "out west" day trips yesterday to call some coyotes and do a little deer scouting. After setting my alarm wrong, for the second time this hunting season,
cursing.gif
I got an hour late start. Even still, I was sitting in my first spot within 30 minutes of sunrise. Nothing on this set and I head 20 minutes down the road to the ranch. After visiting with the landowner for a bit I headed out to a large drainage that the rancher has been hearing coyotes regularly this fall.

On the first set I have 3 doe mule deer come fast looking for something to stomp!! I dig my camera out of my pocket as they get downwind of me at 20 steps. Even though they wind me and 2 of them take off, one hangs out for the entire set stomping and blowing alerts.

IMGP1190.jpg

The morning ends up being a slow one and it isn't until 2PM that things pick up. By now, the wind had switched Northeast and I had moved into a different drainage. I set the caller 75 yards upwind calling into a treed dainage that extended for a mile. I was at the top of the elevation and it was a beautiful bit of scenery. Eight minutes into the set I pick up on a new light spot decending into the drainage about a half mile away. I don't see the coyote again until it exits the trees 100 yards in front of me. I give a quick "YOWWWL" and the first coyote is dead right there courtesy of the .204 tikka.

Right where it dropped.
IMGP1194.jpg

IMGP1193.jpg

The next set is just 400 yards or so from the the last and the foxpro is pointed down a different drainage. Again, after about 8 minutes I see a coyote stand up out of its resting spot and then lay down after a minute of looking. I send some pup distress sounds and the coyote comes to check it out. On the approach it figures out that something isn't right and succeeds in dodging one (or 4) of my bullets at 300 yards. Dang!

As I'm walking back to the other coyote to drag it back to the truck I see some interesting rocks. Realizing that it was not accident that these rocks are in a cirlcle I do some more looking around.

IMGP1195.jpg

I find the smaller circle, a triangle, and what I believe to be a tee pee circle.

IMGP1198.jpg

IMGP1201.jpg

Very cool!!

There is also a few small piles of rock and it seems that this may have been an old camp site. If anyone has info about this stuff I'd like to hear it. I was located near an indian reservation.

After shooting a few pictures I move to a different drainage and start up the foxpro. I hear another deer stomping angrily towards me, dig out the camera again, shoot the picture, and out of the corner of my eye catch 3 coyotes coming FAST about 300 yards out!

IMGP1205.jpg

The deer boogies out and I wait as long as I can to try to get all 3 coyotes in front of me. The closest one gets to 25 steps and is staring right at me. I can only see the ears of the one behind it and decide that one in hand. . . .

IMGP1207.jpg

The others get away for another day. So after calling all morning and early afternoon and seeing nothing I have 3 sets in a row produce. 2 down and 3 get a good scare. . . All in all. . . . a pretty good day!

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

I wish I was there. I almost didn't recognize you without the beard. Great job and great story.
I want to see the indian site if we go there this year!

tepee my arse!

thats an ancient indian burial gound! you wouldnt happen to have a pet cemetery 100 yards from it or so?

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed finding the camp site. It always spurs the imagination to think what life was like out there then.

Back